"Summer" a Season for Kindness



Summer is in heat and as the season slowly unfolds; I can hear the waves crashing as it takes me down the memory lane.

If you have 20 seconds to spare, I will tell you a story about a girl I met in an isla bonita (pretty island) a girl named Sittie Friza Maguindanao a.k.a aiza; and yes she is a  Muslim, a Meranao to be specific. But kindness is universal, regardless what religion, belief or tradition you follow and what tribe you came from.

I was lucky enough to stumble upon a heart of gold, i guess true friends are one of the real treasures in life and no amount of wealth can bring you joy compared to the feeling of bliss true friendship brings. It's rare indeed to encounter such kindness to be bestowed upon a total stranger, considering that this stranger is financially incapable of paying the rent at that very moment. I know it sounds like a broken record already, hahaha, I'm just telling the truth and writing what's on my mind, before money was really scarce.

A Smile Says It All
I decided to have my OJT (On The Job Training) in Boracay back then in 2009. I wont spill the details, its just too dramatic and besides this story is about Aiza, so moving on...

When Aiza was introduced to me, she gave me a warm smile that made me feel so welcomed, she then uttered the words "since its my day off, I'll accompany you later after breakfast". Wow, if someone would ask me how to define the word nice at that time, my answer would be her name. She smiles a lot, we were the exact opposite. I stayed in Boracay for two months and I learned that the best things in life are free, you can enjoy the beach without spending a cent. In time her smile and her fun spirited personality was so contagious that it infected my very soul.
She inspired me in many ways and made me realized that the course I took was, just not for me. How she performs in her job and how she relates to her guests as well as going out of her way to provide good customer service was exhausting for me, not to mention that smile. That's how I realized that this kind of job was not meant for me. But it can be learned in time, all I'm saying is, it comes out naturally for her. I visited her once in the Resort where she worked as a bartender. I drank my very first frozen martini, "its on the house" Aiza said. I cant say no to alcohol before, which leads us to another situation.

I have a reason for being drunk at that time since it was my birthday but not enough reason to do stupid things like burying my vomit in the sand and having my self dragged since I was too drunk to stand or walk. Another act of kindness there, I woke up in her room with baby powder on my back. I cant thank her enough for the good times and the bad times. A moment well spent is really worth remembering and I am pretty sure that its not only me who has experience her kindness.                                                                                                                                                                        

Ahhhhh, those good old days. Until now we still communicate, thanks to modern technology for making the world smaller.
I am just thrilled to know that she is now expecting a baby girl.

I wish I could go back there and visit her. I'll find time for sure. Time flies indeed and now she's asking me what name would be nice for her little girl, she likes a name that sounds masculine.



If you have any suggestions, please leave your comments.

Thanks for dropping by. Hope you'll enjoy your summer!  :)



Comments

Popular Posts