Lu-Lu Goes to the Mountains (Mt. Ulap-Itugon-Benguet-Day hike-Traverse) #1

I’m not really sure why I’m writing about this now since it’s already over a month after our climb. Just thinking about it brings back a lot of memories. It’s like taking a trip down the memory lane, tracing every footstep on that mountain (my footsteps). "Mount Ulap" the very first mountain I ever climbed! One thing is for sure, I would love to read about this experience in the future. Who knows, maybe I can rely on this memory for help when I’m older?

After years of thinking about climbing a mountain, one day, I finally stopped thinking about it and decided to climb one. So on September 2, 2016 at about 11:00 pm, I and two of my friends Magz and Excel left Manila and went on an adventure to explore Mt. Ulap!



We were mostly asleep on our way to Itugon, Benguet. We never thought of taking a photo before we left Manila. We thought about taking a selfie in the van but it was really dark inside. As we viewed the pictures taken, we ended up laughing knowing that our attempts were unsuccessful. We just can’t wait to take a photo before climbing Mt. Ulap and so on one of our stopover we finally had the opportunity to have our first picture taken.
Magz-Lou-Excel


When we arrived, I was certain that we were now far from Manila. I can feel the cold temperature as I got out of the van. My thoughts were already getting ahead of me. Mixed emotions made my stomach uneasy. I was excited and nervous but mostly excited. I had to take a deep breath and allowed some time to clear my head. After we had our coffee and a light meal, we offered a prayer led by Magz. A prayer of gratitude for the safe trip and we asked for guidance as we venture into a whole new world of experience on a mountain that we know nothing about.







It was still dark when we started off. I looked to my right and the City lights were shining like fire flies. I never bothered to ask if it was Baguio City but that view alone was an inspiration to look forward to. As we reached the base of the mountain, the guide explained that Mount Ulap has 3 peaks. I was overwhelmed since our hike towards the base was at that point depleting. Whatever it is that I was thinking or feeling at that time didn’t really matter. I had to follow that path even if I have to traverse the narrowest passage, there’s just no turning back.

I did not expect things to be that hard. My knees were trembling that it was so hard to take another step and it felt like I was already running out of breath. Not that far from the base of the mountain; a little boy was stationed there to sell wooden canes. Magz and I bought one. Excel doesn’t need one since he’s an experienced climber. He looks so manly judging by his physique but you just don’t know how gay he is not until he moves and opens his mouth.






As we wandered our way into the forest landscape with our trusty wooden canes, I was catching my breath even harder this time. Before I knew it, whatever energy I had left was drained. My vision started to become dim and blurry, I knew I was going to faint and so I quickly sat on the rock the moment I saw it. The two organizers and one of the joiners waited for me as the others went ahead. I felt like vomiting but just too ashamed to let it all out. I was literally bathing in my own cold sweat. Excel went back to check if I was okay.

And when I can no longer contain it I vomited twice right then and there. The organizers gave me a sugar coated jelly candy or something to regain my strength. It was a good thing I brought a eucalyptus ointment. I rubbed some of it under my nose that made me feel better. After that vomiting incident, I took my time and after a few minutes I gave them a thumbs up as a signal that I’m okay.

As we continued to move forward, we simply made fun of what happened and before I knew it, I was laughing again. We saw Magz straight ahead waiting for us and just a few steps more from that spot, a breath taking view greeted us, like a reward. I closed my eyes and tried to breathe it all in, it was only for a moment because I don’t want them to think that I was weird or something. But even for that moment a wave of curiosity filled my consciousness, making me want to continue the adventure. I have to see it for myself like a treasure waiting to be discovered.










The first part was the hardest however as we continued unto the trail it did not get any easier either. By the time we arrived at the second peak, I was already hungry. We had our lunch on the edge of a cliff (bless our brave souls).



We took more pictures before heading towards the third peak. There were pine trees and land mines of cow poop. I can hear rain on the other side of the mountain it was like the sound of a waterfall. The trail was already very muddy. I almost want to give up but the thought of my efforts to have come all this way prevailed and with another few minutes of rest I’m ready to continue the trek again. I just had to finish what I’ve started and so to my relief our guide finally said, “we’re here!”

At last, we made it! We sat on the ground and with the grass beneath me; I felt the earth. We were surrounded with nothing but fog. I knew that it wasn’t over yet and as the fog cleared, a whole new world appeared. There it was the scenic views of the mountains of Cordillera right before my eyes. It was so beautiful!










Every experience might be different for everyone but after exploring Mount Ulap, I’ve discovered something great about myself too. I guess that’s what adventures are for; it gives you the gift of discovery. It was a rare moment indeed.

We started descending from the summit after taking some pictures and to be honest I just can’t wait to get it over with. You have to take every step with caution. My whole body was aching. My feet hurt like it was going to burst at any moment. Anyway I’ll just skip the details and by the time we arrived at the foot of the mountain, I felt like celebrating.

My experience in climbing Mount Ulap was exhausting and excruciatingly painful but after that rare moment at the summit, I would climb another mountain in a heartbeat.   

                                                                       <3                                                                
                                                             















Comments

Popular Posts