Beneath the Big Blue Sky

I haven't seen the setting sun or the rising sun for quite a long time now and it doesn't get any weirder than this. A thought about my past creeped in when we visited my parents province in Capiz and Iloilo. My mother lives in Capiz a place rumored to be the dwelling place of (aswangs) witches but that's another story and my father is the one who lives in Iloilo. I think I was 7 or 8 years old back then and I never felt so free in my entire life.

We visited my mother's hometown first and when it rains the empty rice field was just flooded with water and we used to swim with my siblings and some of my cousins together with the frogs and laughter filled the air. In the evening I enjoyed the scary stories our grandmother shared but nothing beats watching the sunrise as it sprinkles its light on the rice fields. "Breakfast"! I heard my uncle shouted, I'd love to stay outside but I'm kinda hungry so I bid the rising sun goodbye as I ran back inside the house.

Before, the ripe mangoes used to taste really sweet and the simplest food can really taste so good. I really don't know what happened to my taste buds now. During our stay there my father took us to a restaurant where they served the most delicious batchoy(noodle soup). I still like batchoy but it never tasted that delicious now, I think it has something to do with my emotions at that time, it was pure bliss.

When we were in Iloilo, I had diarrhea for eating too much ice scramble but what I enjoyed the most while we were there was running in the sugar cane fields. As we lie on the green grass we watched the clouds go by beneath the big blue sky eating freshly picked sugar cane.

When we got older my big brother told me a memory that he can't forget before he died. When he was very ill, he was wondering why he always thought about the time when he was in Iloilo as he watched the clouds go by and sneezed. He can't seem to forget about it.

I don't know where I'm going with this blog, I just felt like writing and I am beginning to feel that when we're close to dying, our achievements and success in life will not matter. In the end it is still the simplest thoughts that we choose to remember and the people that really matters most to us.

So keep it simple my friends... :)



Comments

Popular Posts